Date Time Competition Season
13th January 2018 5:15 pm Welsh Premier League 2017/18


Jenner Park
185 Barry Rd, Barry CF62 9BG, UK


Barry Town United0
Bala Town1


Lakesiders secure victory on Colin Caton’s big day!

Saturday afternoon saw another chapter written in the Club’s history and another landmark reached as Manager Colin Caton took charge of his 600th match at the helm.

Following a surprise presentation by Barry’s manager Gavin Chesterfield to Colin the game got underway and it was an entertaining affair infront of the 590 strong crowd.

Kayne McLaggon had the first chance of the game when a break down the wing arrived to him but he wasn’t able to connect with the cross leading to a Town counter attack that saw Burke’s effort saved.

Town looked a threat on the break throughout the game, a cross from Ryan Valentine tried to find the incoming Jones but the ball was overhit before Nathan Burke saw his chance hacked off the line by the Barry backline.

A freekick following a foul on Hayes saw Venables go close but beaten to the ball by the goalkeeper before a Les Davies strike fizzling narrowly wide after a break down the right flank with Stuart Jones blazing over from 6 yards on the half hour mark.

Bala’s play was fast on the zippy surface with Venables and Burke’s move in the middle allowing Valentine to fire over from distance before the interval.

Town cranked up the pressure in the second half. A move between Venables and Davies saw a vital block by the Barry defence before down the other end McLaggon skipped down the wing but Ashley Morris strongly pushed the ball out of play.

Cooper headed over the crossbar for the home side on the hour mark with Jordan Evans replacing Burke for the Lakesiders.

Evans’ was straight into the action and changed the game for Town with the Lakesiders taking an even more direct approach and the midfield running the show for the remainder of the game.

The substitute picked up the ball on the edge of the Town half to break forward and dancing past two players, delivering the ball to the unmarked Hayes who turned his marker and from an almost impossible acute angle fire the ball past the keeper into the back of the net to give Bala the lead on 65 minutes.

Bala were in full control and were looking to add to their tally and they came extremely close to doing so when initial work by Venables and Davies allowed Evans to break and link up with Hayes who’s curling strike rattled the crossbar.

A long throw from Short (which had been causing problems all afternoon for the Barry defence!) was needed to be scrambled away.

With 5 minutes left to play, Barry could’ve been level when Cooper’s delivery found McLaggon who directed his free header centimeters wide of the far post.

A very good afternoon’s work for the Lakesiders who put in a great shift all over the park and secure another vital three points on the board, closing the gap on Bangor City and Connah’s Quay going into the next phase of the season.

Match photos by Naomi Jones




















About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor