Date Time Competition Season
17th November 2017 8:00 pm Welsh Premier League 2017/18


Park Avenue
12 Park Ave, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 1PF, UK


Aberystwyth Town1
Bala Town2


Hayes bags a brace to extend Town’s unbeaten run to six games.

It was a Friday night football feast at Park Avenue with a penalty miss, goal line clearances, the woodwork hit six times and three goals infront of a 640+ strong crowd.

The Aberystwyth Uni students were out in force but it was the Town faithful who headed home happy thanks to a brace by Mike Hayes and a brilliant team performance to go with it.

Town started well as Chris Venables’ header was cleared off the line by Matthew Jones after only four minutes of play following good work by Rule and Burke.

Jon Owen tested for the home side when his lob from distance landed on the roof of the net on 10 minutes.

Bala edged the start with plenty of possession – Mike Hayes fired over from 20 yards before a brilliant double save by Mullock saw Hayes’ header hit the bar then he tipped Venables follow up effort onto the post.

Town were asking plenty of questions out of Aber and the pressure was building. Walker was forced to clear off the line before Venables’ 25 yard free kick was superbly palmed away by the Aberystwyth shotstopper who made a full body length save.

Former Bala man Ryan Wade could’ve opened the scoring for Aber when his effort was hacked off the line on the half hour mark.

On 35 minutes, Stuart J Jones who was making his 50th start for the Club was forced off due to suspected concussion to be replaced by Will Bell.

Before the interval, Town were denied by the woodwork again – this time a Les Davies effort before Burke’s strike from 18 yards was gathered by Mullock then Hayes’ volley dipped narrowly over the bar.

The second half was another excellent display from the Lakesiders.

Two chances fell to Jordan Evans early on – the first blocked by Mullock and then his 25 yard strike tipped over the bar.

The Lakesiders broke the deadlock on 52 minutes. Brilliant play in midfield by Evans released Hayes and he instinctively drove the ball low into the bottom far corner giving Town a deserved lead.

However it could’ve been level straight after the restart when Declan Walker’s shot from distance smashed against the crossbar and then a minute later Spittle also saw his chance bounce back off the post.

A triple block by Aber denied Hayes, Jones and Venables from a corner but on 76 minutes Town were awarded a penalty. Mike Hayes was bundled over in the box but Mullock who delivered a man of the match performance denied Venables from the spot with a great save to keep the game at 1-0.

With 10 minutes on the clock, Bala doubled their tally. Unmarked in the box, the ball arrived to Hayes and he powered home into the roof of the net.

But with 6 minutes to go, Aber got a goal back. Young’s delivery into the box was nodded in by Spittle and keeping Aber’s chances of salvaging a point alive.

In the final minutes, Aber chucked everything at the Lakesiders but Morris and his back four stayed strong ensuring that the three points returned to Maes Tegid.

Another great display by Town all over the park with a deserved win to take home. Town have now won 5 out of their last 6 games and getting closer to sealing a spot in the top six as we approach December.

Next up – Bangor City.

Match photos by Arwel Jones

ab1 ab3 ab4 ab5 ab6 ab7 ab8 ab9 ab10 ab11 ab12 b2

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor