Date Time Competition Season
22nd April 2017 5:15 pm Welsh Premier League 2016/17


Bala Town4
The New Saints6


Goalfest at Maes Tegid brings season to a close!

The Welsh Premier League season came to an end on Saturday evening and what a game we had at Maes Tegid.

In a 10 goal thriller that saw two penalties, disallowed goals and two fantastic goalkeeper performances – the Welsh Cup Final dress rehearsal as a cracker.

A last minute change five minutes before kickoff saw Ashley Morris drop out of the starting line-up to be replaced by 18 year old Ryan Goldston who was handed his Town debut.

Bala started well and could’ve scored in the opening couple of minutes when Sheridan’s teasing cross was met by Hunt but he saw his shot pushed away.

Down the other end Goldston was called into action, tipping over Quigley’s shot for a corner which the resulting corner kick was headed over by Aeron Edwards.

Ian Sheridan broke the deadlock for the Lakesiders on 7 minutes as his curling effort from range found the top corner giving Town an unexpected lead.

The lead wasn’t held for long as two goals in three minutes from the Saints with two similar goals that saw Cieslewicz and Brobbel slot home for the visitors.

The action packed half continued when Stephens was brought down in the box for referee Bryn Markham Jones to point to the spot. Unfortunately Stephens’ spot kick lacked power and it was pushed away by Wycherley and the follow up blazed over by Wade.

Town’s chances kept coming as the attacked the Saints defence and asking questions of them. A Nathan Burke goalbound strike was palmed away prior to David Thompson firing over after a move down the middle.

A freekick taken by Burke from the 18 yard line was saved by Wycherley who was having a superb game in the TNS net.

The score was back level on 39 minutes as Ian Sheridan broke away from his marker, picked out a pocket of space and curl his low strike into the bottom corner.

Two minutes later Bala retook the lead. Another spot kick was awarded following a foul in the box saw Stephens step up again and he made no mistake and powered home on 41 minutes.

Again the lead was short lived when two minutes later, the score was back square. Quigley wriggled free, saw Goldston off his line and lobbed the young shotstopper for it to hit the underside of the bar and cross the line.

Before the interval, a spectacular 40 yard strike from Marriott rattled the bar but it was 3-3 at the break.

The second half saw the Saints go 4-3 ahead after only two minutes of play when a delivery from the right was headed in by Quigley to notch his second of the day.

Goals continued to come as Robbie Parry was next to find the net when he was given too much space and slotted home.

Quigley scored his hatrick on 63 minutes with another move and comfortable finish.

Chances kept coming for Town too. A move between Evans and Wade released Hunt but he was deemed offside before a 25 yard bottom corner bound drive from Irving was brilliantly stopped by the impressive Wycherley.

Burke and Evans tested but their chances from distance were wide of the uprights.

Town weren’t done and came back to 4-6 on the 86th minutes. A complete scramble in the 6 yard box saw the goal take four blocks from shots by Wade, Stuart Jones and Stephens before Thompson put his foot through the ball and notch his first goal of the season and bring an end to a goalfest at Maes Tegid

An interesting afternoon as Maes Tegid with probably the most unexpected and unpredicted scoreline of the season coming on the final day. It’ll be a completely different affair in the Welsh Cup Final next week but what a day we have ahead of us next Sunday.

Congratulations to goalkeeper Ryan Goldston on his Town debut – he has come through from the Under 12’s into the First Team and a very proud day for the Club to see him handed his debut!

Match photos by Arwel Jones1 2 3 4
5 6 7

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor