A nightmare day for The Lakesiders, as Colin Caton hits a milestone 700 games in charge of the club!

Following two defeats on the bounce at the hands of Connah’s Quay and Caernarfon Town, The Lakesiders were tasked with a trip down to Barry Town this weekend (27/03/21) with a win for the hosts meaning they’d secure their place in the Champions Conference, however a win for Bala would take us to within 12 points of table toppers Connah’s Quay. The hosts would also be looking to avenge their 4-0 defeat at Maes Tegid back in October.

Saturday’s game would also set a milestone for Manager Colin Caton, as he took charge of The Lakesiders for the 700th time having been at the club for 19 years!

We got underway at Jenner Park, and all of a sudden it was 1-0 Bala! The Captain Chris Venables headed the ball into the net, after Antony Kay headed the ball across the face of goal, and there was the Captain to head home.

There was a short delay in play after the goal, as Barry’s goalkeeper crashed into the goal, bringing down the net while trying to keep out Venables’ header.

The Lakesiders won a succession of corners, however no chances were created to grab a second.

It wasn’t long until the hosts were back level… A corner swung into the box was headed out by Shaun Kelly, yet the ball came back into the box and headed in by McLaggon from close range. A disappointing way to concede for the Town, having gone infront so early on.

Only three minutes later, and the hosts took the lead! The goal came from a free kick on the right hand side, which went into the path of Evan Press, who had an easy task of heading the ball passed Ramsay, to make it 2-1 to the hosts after just 15 minutes.

Alex Ramsay was called into action after half an hour, as Jordan Cotterill hit a sweet volley down the throat of our number 1, but Ramsay was equal to the strike and collected the ball into his midriff.

Shaun Kelly did well to stop the attack of McLaggon who attempted to enter the Bala box, but Kelly managed to stop him in his tracks and put the ball out for a corner.

The hosts appealed for a penalty with five minutes left of the half, as the ball was flicked over a Bala head and the Barry man tumbled to the floor, however the referee waved the appeals away.

Despite the late pressure by Bala, the hosts went in with a 2-1 lead at half time, after going infront early on, two goals in the space of three minutes turned the game on its head.

We got back underway for the second half, and it didn’t take long for the hosts to extend their lead… just five minutes into the second half, Chris Hugh was handed a tap in as a mistake at the back gave the Barry left back a clear run on goal, with an empty net to shoot at he poked the ball home to give his side a 3-1 lead.

Jack Mackreth tried to claw a goal back minutes later, as he hit a sweet strike towards goal, but Mike Lewis pulled off a good save to concede a corner.

It could of been four on 57 minutes, as Jordan Cotterill’s shot was saved by Ramsay, with the ball still heading towards the goal line, however Shaun Kelly was there to clear the ball off the line.

Both Mendes and Shannon tested the hands of the Barry keeper, but the keeper was equal to both efforts.

It got worse for Bala, as the hosts grabbed their fourth on 65 minutes, with McLaggon grabbing his second goal of the game with a close range effort after the initial save from Ramsay, despite the clearance off the line by a Bala defender, the ball was deemed to have crossed the line as Barry made it 4-1.

Only five minutes later, and it was FIVE for the hosts… Evan Press also grabbing his brace as he found himself with space inside the box, and all there was to do was smash home to make it 5-1.

Another goal came just three minutes later, and thankfully it was Bala who scored it! Kieran Smith was in the right place, right time to hit home from close range after the initial save from Lewis was parried out towards Smith who had the task of just tapping the ball home. 5-2 to the hosts now, with 15 minutes left of the game.

Any glimmer of hope for Bala was washed away with 10 minutes to go, as the substitute Curtis Hutson came on and hit a sweet half volley on the edge of the box, right into the bottom left hand corner of the net, making it 6-2 to the hosts.

The nightmare finished with the hosts running out 6-2 winners, meaning they’d secured their spot in the Champions Conference. A bad day at the office for Bala, with mistakes proving costly in the end.

We now look on to finishing Phase 1 on a high note, with Flint Town travelling to Maes Tegid on Easter Friday which will complete Phase 1, as focus will then turn to the Champions Conference!


Substitutions: Kieran Smith (68), Jonny Spittle (73).
Yellow Cards: Nathan Peate (15), Lassana Mendes (60), Jack Mackreth (90)



About The Author