Disappointing result for The Lakesiders as Nomads extend the gap at the top.

The Lakesiders returned to Maes Tegid for the first time in over three months last night (16th of March) with a tough test at hand with Connah’s Quay Nomads the visitors. Both teams came into the game on good form, with Nomads sitting at the top of the table, nine points adrift from Bala. A huge game for both clubs, coming to the end of Phase 1 and heading into the Champions Conference.

The game got underway under the lights at Maes Tegid, and within the first minute, we took the lead! Raul Correia rushed forward after Nomads were dispossessed in midfield, as Lassana Mendes broke forward and put Raul in on goal, and there was no mistake from our number 9! A tidy finish passed the keeper early doors to make it 1-0!

However, the lead lasted just three minutes. A mix up in the Bala box gave George Horan a simple task to just nod home from close range and equalise after four minutes!

A succession of free kicks for Nomads almost lead to them taking the lead, after an effort from Danny Davies was deflected onto the crossbar.

Despite the fast start from Bala, it was all Nomads after the opener. An impressive number of free kicks awarded to the visitors throughout the first half an hour.

Chris Venables came close on 38 minutes, after he was given space inside the box to shoot, but the Nomads defenders managed to block the ball out for a corner.

The referee blew his whistle to end the first half, and possibly to the relief of The Lakesiders, after enduring a very stop start half with no fluidity to the game. It was all to play for in the second half!

We got underway for the second half, and Bala were given an early free kick, with a chance to get the ball into the box. However Venables was deemed to be offside from the free kick, and that attack was stopped.

Ramsay was called into action early in the half, with a brilliant point blank save from a header and managed to push the ball away from danger.

The visitors appealed for a penalty ten minutes into the second half, but the referee waved play on.

Another succession of free kicks for the visitors, as every tackle was deemed a foul by the referee, with a very similar scenario to the first half, with no fluidity to the game.

With 25 minutes to go, the visitors were awarded a penalty. Sean Smith was alleged to have brought down the on-rushing Nomads player and the referee pointed to the spot. Callum Morris stepped up and dispatched the penalty to Ramsay’s right hand side, as Nomads took a 2-1 lead.

Raul Correia attempted to get the equaliser, but his shot was blocked out for a corner.

It was done and dusted with five minutes to go, as Craig Curran headed into an empty net after Michael Wilde headed across goal to give Curran the easy task of just nodding home, as Nomads gained a 3-1 lead.

Things got even worse for Bala, as Jonny Spittle picked up his second yellow card for a tackle on the half way line, despite getting the ball. A second game in a row with Bala finishing the game with ten men.

Four minutes were added on at the end of the game, yet it was all but over for The Lakesiders. The referee blew his whistle for the final time, bringing an end to a disappointing result for Bala, with Nomads now gaining a 12 point lead over Bala at the top of the table.


Substitutions: Henry Jones (77)
Yellow Cards: Jonny Spittle (34), Sean Smith (65), Raul Correia (76)
Red Cards: Jonny Spittle (90)


About The Author