A Christmas cracker from the Lakesiders!

The Lakesiders returned to Maes Tegid for the first time in three fixtures on Saturday afternoon (12/12/2020) with Cardiff Met making the trip up North following the reverse fixture just a week ago, as both teams earned a point at Cyncoed after some late drama. The Lakesiders came into this game, on the back of a much needed 2-1 win away to Aberystwyth in mid-week, after Gary Roberts converted a penalty to score his first Bala goal on his return, and a Lassana Mendes header sealed the three points for Bala in the first half. Following this game, the Lakesiders will have a 2 week break, and will return on Boxing Day to face Gwynedd Rivals Caernarfon Town.

Two changes were made to the eleven that started against Aberystwyth Town in mid-week, as Chris Venables returned from suspension, and Steve Leslie made his way into the starting eleven in the absense of an injured Gary Roberts, while Lassana Mendes dropped to the bench to give way to the Captain. Nathan Peate also returned from suspension, and was named on the bench.

We got underway at Maes Tegid, and within the opening five minutes, we saw a goal! Will Evans got on the end of a brilliantly placed Ollie Shannon cross to head home to give the Lakesiders an early lead! Will with his 10th goal of the season, notching one against his former side also!

Henry Jones looked sharp throughout the opening quarter of an hour, as he managed to beat three Met players, and put a ball through the defence, however Will couldn’t reach the ball in time, as the keeper, Alex Lang got to the ball first.

Steve Leslie picked up the first card of the afternoon, with a foul inside his own half.

Ryan Pryce made his way down the right, and lofted a ball towards Chris Venables in the box, yet the Met keeper came and collected the cross.

A break in play on 25 minutes as Emlyn Lewis went down for Met, as he received a ball right into the midriff after a volley from Henry Jones.

Some good combination play down the left from Henry Jones and Sean Smith, as a few one two’s got the pair down the left, however the final pass in-behind the Met defence was too heavy, and went out for a goal kick.

The Lakesiders won a corner after Ryan Pryce made a driving run into the Met half, Will Evans collected the ball near the byline and managed to win a corner.

A costly corner for Met! As Antony Kay smashed home from the corner to score his first goal for the Lakesiders! A corner from Steve Leslie made its way to the back post, where Kay pounced onto the ball and cannoned the ball into the roof of the net, and made it 2-0 to the Town after half an hour.

Alex Ramsay was called into action, as he pulled of a stunning save, as a shot was deflected towards the keeper, which he tipped over the bar to keep his clean sheet intact.

It wasn’t long until we were treated to another goal! This time the returning Chris Venables grabbed his 14th goal of the season! A brilliant no look pass through the defence from Henry Jones, onto the on-rushing Venables who set him self, and found the bottom right corner to give his side a 3-0 lead just a minute before the end of the half!

The referee blew his whistle to end the half, and what a half it was! A dominating half from the Lakesiders, who looked to have taken the confidence of mid-week’s result and made sure they took their chances.

The second half got underway, and soon enough, Met grabbed a goal back.. After four minutes played of the second half, Ollie Hulbert grabbed a goal, after a nicely weighted pass from Dylan Rees into the path of Hulbert who side footed it past Ramsay in goal, and made it 3-1.

Ramsay almost catches his opposite number out, as he see’s Alex Lang off his line and tries his luck from his own half, though the ball hit the top of the net.

Met made the first change of the day, as Harry Owen came on for Thomas Price.

Just after the hour mark, the Captain Chris Venables should of doubled his goals for the day! A brilliant free kick from Henry Jones, into the direction of Venables, who had a free header, but his effort went wide of the goal.

However, just three minutes later, the Captain did double his tally! A superb kick from Alex Ramsay from his own box, right over the top of the Met defence, into the path of Venables who got to the ball before Alex Lang, and headed into an empty net! 4-1 to the Lakesiders with well over 20 minutes remaining!

Dylan Rees was the next Met player to make way, as Mathew Jones came on in his place.

Colin Caton made his first change of the game, as Liam Davies replaced Steve Leslie.

Alex Ramsay was still alert with 10 minutes to go, as he came out to intercept the ball in mid-air, and got his side up the pitch.

A double substitution for Bala, as Lassana Mendes, and the returning Nathan Peate came on in place of Will Evans and Anthony Stephens.

More brilliant work from Ramsay, who got on the end of a cross/shot from the right side from Met, and made sure it was the only one goal for Met.

Henry almost grabbed his 2nd goal of the season with two minutes to go, but some brilliant goalkeeping from Alex Lang denied the forward his deserved goal.

Cardiff Met’s Joseph Evans mishit his cross, and almost caught out Ramsay, yet the ball bounced off the top of the bar.

Despite four minutes of added time, no team could mount any more serious attacks, as the referee blew on his whistle for the final time. A brilliant performance from the Lakesiders, with a very deserved three points made their way into 2nd place for a few hours, with Connah’s Quay Nomads ending The New Saints’ unbeaten run just a few hours later, and put the Lakesiders back into 3rd, which is where we’ll stay for Christmas Day, as the Lakesiders now have a 2 week break before Derby Day at Maes Tegid on Boxing Day!



About The Author