Late drama at Cyncoed as Henry Jones rescues a point!

After playing out a 1-1 draw in the Gwynedd Derby in mid-week, the Lakesiders travelled to the capital this weekend, where they would face Cardiff Met at the Cyncoed Stadium. The Lakesiders have gone on a 9 game unbeaten run, although three out of the last five games have ended in draws, meaning dropped points have led to the points gap at the top widening between The New Saints at the top of the table, and the Lakesiders who sit in 3rd spot.

There were two changes to the side that faced Caernarfon Town in mid-week, as Raul Correia returned to the starting eleven after a run of games sitting on the bench, while Gary Roberts made his first start for the club since signing just a couple weeks ago. Will Evans would come up against his former team mates for the first time since signing for The Lakesiders from Met in the summer.

The game got underway at Cyncoed, with an early scare for the home side, as a mix up between goalkeeper and defence almost gave Bala a chance to score, however eventually they were able to clear.

Raul started the game well, with a burst of pace down the right hand side, he was able to get the cross in but his ball was behind the on-rushing Will Evans, and the home side cleared the danger.

After 20 minutes gone, the Lakesiders had two good attacking opportunities in a matter of seconds, as Will Evans’ cross into the box hit the bar, which Venables collected the rebound but was unable to make anything out of it, then the ball was recycled to the near side back to Will Evans, this time he put in a menacing ball right across the line of the defenders, yet Venables couldn’t reach it in time.

Unfortunate for Raul Correia after just 25 minutes, as he needed to be replaced by Henry Jones due to injury.

Henry got straight into the action, as he took a free kick from the left hand side, and was able to make the keeper work, as his effort needed to be pushed around the post for a corner.

Another big chance for the Lakesiders, as Ryan Pryce got down the right hand side and put a teasing ball towards Venables, but his header went wide of the post.

The Lakesiders almost took the lead on 40 minutes, but the home side were able to clear off their line.

The referee’s whistle went to signal the end of the half, with a few chances for either side, but neither team were able to make the breakthrough as the half ended all square!

All to play for in the second half, as the referee got the game back underway.

Just five minutes into the second half, Bala had a big chance to take the lead, as Gary Roberts played the ball into Henry Jones inside the box, but his effort on his weaker foot went over the bar.

Another good ball from Pryce, this time playing a ball right across the line of the defence into the area, but neither Henry or Gary could latch on to it. Good start to the half from the Lakesiders.

With not many clear cut chances, the Town saw a lot of the ball throughout the start of the second half.

A deflected pass from Venables almost inadvertently reached Gary Roberts, but the Met keeper was able to rush out and collect the ball.

Henry Jones came very close to giving the Lakesiders the lead on 74 minutes, as he poked the ball past the keeper, but also past the post, so close for the first half substitute!

Two yellow cards in the space of two minutes for Nathan Peate and Chris Venables, with still no goals past the 78th minute mark.

Ollie Shannon was replaced by Steve Leslie on 81 minutes.

However just five minutes from time, an agonising goal to concede from the Lakesiders, as Ollie Hulbert took the lead for the home side, as he slid the ball home past Ramsay.

Ryan Pryce was replaced by Jonny Spittle just after the Met took the lead.

Straight from the restart, the Lakesiders went on the hunt to find a goal, as Will Evans tried a half volley from the edge of the box, but his effort was saved by the keeper.

As the fourth official held up the time added on… Henry Jones pounced to draw the game level! A cross into the back post from Sean Smith was headed back into the danger area from a Met defender, where Henry leaped from a standing position and headed into the net! 1-1 with added time to come!

However the only action of added time saw Jonny Spittle pick up a yellow card for a dubious foul in the middle of the pitch. That was it, as the referee blew her whistle for the final time of the game, as both sides earned a point in a game with many half chances, but a small number of clear cut chances. In conclusion a draw was a fair result in the grand scheme of things, having conceded in the 85th minute, and then go on to equalise in the 90th minute, however it’s point dropped again for the 3rd time in the past five games, meaning a gap of 9 points stood between the Lakesiders and The New Saints.

Focus now turns to another away game, as the Lakesiders travel to Aberystwyth Town on Wednesday (9/12/2020) to play the re-arranged fixture from the end of the November, following the postponement of the fixture due to COVID.



About The Author