Job well done for the Lakesiders against The Bont!

The Lakesiders would return to Maes Tegid on Saturday afternoon (14/11/2020) having played out a thriller against The New Saints the weekend before, despite the game finishing 1-1, both sides gave it their all in a gripping match up! This time round, the Lakesiders would face off against Penybont for the second time this season, having handed a 5-1 beating to the South Wales side at the end of September.

Only one change was made to the side that faced The New Saints the weekend before, with Antony Kay dropping out due to suspension, with Steve Leslie returning from his suspension. While Liam Davies, Ryan Pryce and Henry Jones retaining their places after their performances against TNS in the previous game.

A slow start to the game, as both corners had a corner each early on, but no threats from either one.

It took 7 minutes for the referee to brandish his first card of the game, as Mael Davies was carded following a foul on Henry Jones.

Having played 15 minutes, there was little to report, with both sides having the ball, but no chances were made to worry either keeper.

However on 21 minutes, the game suddenly came to life, as Ben Ahmun received the ball in the Bala box and managed to get his shot away, but Ramsay was alert from point blank range, and managed to push the ball over the bar to concede a corner.

Only seconds later, Penybont took the lead, as the corner came into the front post, it was cleared back out to the corner taker, who whipped the ball into the back post where Ben Ahmun leaped highest to head the ball home. A disappointing goal to concede, yet a good finish from the forward. 1-0 after just 21 minutes on the clock.

The lead didn’t last long however… Again, the goal came from a corner, which Henry Jones swung into the box, although the ball looked to come off Nathan Peate, the goal was given as an own goal against Yakubu, who looked to have headed the ball into his own net to make it 1-1, not long after his side took the lead.

Liam Davies was next to go into the book after breaking an attack down from Penybont.

After an equaliser in the 25th minute, it was a penalty to the Lakesiders on 35 minutes! A clear penalty after Henry Jones was tripped by a dangling leg from Matthew Harris. Venables stepped up to take the kick, and was there any doubt? Of course not! A tidy finish from the Captain, who slammed the ball into the bottom left corner past former Bala keeper Ashley Morris to give Bala the lead!

It didn’t take long for another goal, and another own goal! This time Oliver Dalton looked to intercept a pass across the box, which looked to be heading into the hands of Ashley Morris, but Dalton inadvertently put the ball into his own net to give the Lakesiders a 3-1 lead just shy of 10 minutes from half time!

A bit of defending work from Liam Davies with 5 minutes to go of the half, as he blocked a shot from the left hand side to concede a corner.

Venables could of grabbed is second of the match with a minute to go, as he met a free kick from Leslie, but couldn’t generate much power on his header to worry Ashley Morris.

The half time whistle went, with the Lakesiders going in with a healthy lead. However the Lakesiders could count themselves lucky, with two of their goals coming from own goals, yet the penalty given was the right decision following a foul on Henry Jones.

The second half got underway, much like the first, very slow and no danger for either sides.

Just short of 10 minutes into the half, Ben Ahmun tested the hands of Ramsay, as he took a curling effort towards the far post, but Ramsay got across easily to grab the ball.

The first substitution was made as Penybont brought on Nathan Wood, replacing Mael Davies who was previously booked in the first half.

Penybont made their next change as Kostya Georgievsky came off for Ian Traylor.

Chris Venables then received a booking from the referee.

The weather progressively got worse at Maes Tegid, with little chances being made, Bala started making changes, as Lassana Mendes came off for Steve Leslie.

With less than 20 minutes to go, the game looked to be out of sight for the visitors! As Will Evans grabbed a goal, following a shot from Ollie Shannon which was spilled towards the goal line from Ashley Morris, Will Evans then picked up the pieces and slid the ball into the net. 4-1 to the Lakesiders, with Penybont looking down and out!

Penybont made their last change of the game as Sam Snaith replaced Matthew Harris.

Then Bala made their second and third change, as Raul Correia replaced Henry Jones and Llyr Morris replaced Chris Venables.

The Lakesiders looked to see the game out during the last minutes of the game, with the Town keeping possession in the final third.

3 minutes were added on, with Bala keeping the ball in Penybont’s half, with Llyr Morris winning a free kick deep in the visitors half, just to run down the clock.

The final whistle went, with the Lakesiders getting the job done and earning another three points! Despite the scoreline looking healthy for the Lakesiders, it wasn’t all plain sailing for the Town, who fell behind to a Ben Ahmun goal, but managed to grab two goals through Will Evans and Chris Venables, and then a helping hand from Yakubu and Dalton to score two own goals to give the Lakesiders a 4-1 win.

Focus now turns to Friday night (20/11/2020) as the Lakesiders travel to Aberystwyth for a 7:45pm kick off, having previously handed them a 5-2 defeat infront of the Sgorio cameras.



About The Author