Late drama again as the points are shared.

After an 11 day absence from the Cymru Premier, the Lakesiders were back again, with a trip down South to face off against Haverfordwest County AFC, aiming for redemption following the defeat a couple weeks ago, which would hand The Town their only loss of the season so far.

Two changes were made to the side following the previous game away to Flint Town, as John Rushton and Anthony Stephens would come in for Alex Ramsay and Jonny Spittle respectively.

The game got underway at the Bridge Meadow Stadium with Will Evans coming close in the early stages, after a long throw into the box went into the direction of our number 8, who hooked the ball over the bar.

A minute later, Haverfordwest had an opportunity to take the lead, but the shot was straight at Rushton from Danny Williams.

Steve Leslie tried his luck from range, but the midfielder couldn’t wrap his foot around the ball, as his shot sailed over the bar.

On the 10th minute mark, Bala were given a massive let off, as Danny Williams received the ball in the Lakesider’s box, had time to turn and shoot, but dragged his shot wide, big opportunity for the home side to take the lead.

Sean Smith put in a brilliant challenge in the box to deny a shot on goal from a Haverfordwest player on 20 minutes.

Another chance for the home side, as Kieran Lewis passed through to Jack Wilson, but his shot went straight into the hands of Rushton.

Antony Kay was the first player to be booked, for a foul in the Haverfordwest half.

Raul Correia came very close to taking the lead on the 25th minute, as he met Leslie’s cross a few yards out, but his glancing header went just wide of the post.

Haverfordwest had another great chance to take the lead, just 10 minutes from the end of the half, as one of their forwards made a driving run towards the byline on the left hand side, but his powerful cross went through everyone, with two Haverfordwest players in the box not able to get a touch of the ball to direct it goalwards.

Steve Leslie took a free kick in a similar position to the one he scored against Flint Town, however this time, his free kick was saved by the keeper and pushed away from any danger.

Minutes later Leslie was booked for a foul in the middle of the pitch, attempting to break up an attacking move from the home side.

The fourth official held up the board for added time, which seemed to show 20 minutes of added time, however he definitely meant 2 minutes.

Bar from a corner from the home side during added time, there was no threat from either side, as the referee then blew the whistle to signal the end of the half.

A half with little clear cut chances, however the home side looked the better team during the first 45, with a couple opportunities to take the lead through Danny Williams and Jack Wilson. It was all to play for in the second half!

The second half got underway, and it took a couple minutes for either team to get going, however on 53 minutes, Chris Venables came close to breaking the deadlock, but his powerful header from a corner went wide of the post.

Another chance for the Lakesiders just a couple minutes later, as Steve Leslie made some space on the edge of the box, but his curling shot went over the bar.

Will Evans was the next to have a shot on goal, but his shot on his weaker foot trickled into the arms of the keeper.

A big chance for the Lakesiders came just after the hour mark, as Ollie Shannon played a ball into the feet of Venables, the skipper was able to turn inside the box, but took a heavy touch which the keeper then pounced on. A break in play then came as the keeper was down injured receiving some treatment following the collision with Venables.

The first substitution for Bala came on 65 minutes, as Raul Correia came off for Henry Jones.

Lassana Mendes came close to breaking the deadlock on the 69th minute, but his long range shot was saved well by the injured keeper, to push the ball out for a corner.

Haverfordwest earned a free kick on the left hand side after a handball from Anthony Stephens. Elliot Scotcher took the free kick, and somehow the ball managed to stay out of the goal, as his free kick was whipped brilliantly towards the left hand post, but his effort cannoned off the inside of the post, and stayed out of the goal, a massive let off for the Lakesiders.

Finally, on the 84th minute, the deadlock was broken! A move that started with a lovely flick from Henry Jones into the path of Leslie, who made a driving run towards the byline, he put the cross into the front post, where Will Evans met the ball first infront of the defender, and hit the ball home to make it 1-0 to the Lakesiders!

The second substitution for Bala came a minute later as Liam Davies replaced Lassana Mendes.

The home side came close with 2 minutes to go, but their shot on goal was dragged wide of the post, with more pressure being pilled on looking for a late equaliser.

Just seconds before the board was shown for added time, Haverfordwest would equalise… A ball into Jack Wilson in the box, with time to take a touch, he hit a shot towards goal, and Rushton wasn’t able to get a full hand to the ball, as it squirmed past the keeper to give the home side a late equaliser.

Eventually, 8 minutes of added time was shown, with now plenty of time for either side to get a winner.

It took until the 7th minute of added time for either team to look like taking the lead, and it was the home side that came close, as a ball to the back post was hit towards the front post, however Rushton was there to block the shot out for a corner.

The corner came to nothing, as the referee then blew the full time whistle. A much better second half performance from the Lakesiders, but a 84th minute goal from Will Evans wasn’t enough to see all three points coming back to Maes Tegid.

The points were shared, however it would be two points dropped in the grand scheme of things, with the Lakesiders now in 2nd place, 5 points behind the league leader The New Saints. With our next fixture being against the league leaders next Saturday (7/11/20) in the re-scheduled game following the postponement of the previous fixture at Maes Tegid after floodlight failure.






About The Author