What an action packed game of football!

Following last weekends opener against Connah’s Quay Nomads, Cefn Druids would travel to Maes Tegid for our first home match of the season, and it did not disappoint.

Early on in the game, The Lakesiders were piling on the pressure, with multiple attacks very early on.

The first real chance of the game was after just 10 minutes, when Druids goalkeeper and defender had a misunderstanding, with the defender almost heading the ball into his own net, however there was Bala player to capitalise on the mistake, and the ball went out for a corner.

Venables then played in Raul with a header, but Raul couldn’t get the ball under his control to take the shot on, the ball was then layed to Andrew Burns, who’s cross didn’t reach anyone in the box.

Another chance for Raul, who’s received the ball from Kieran Smith after being clattered by a Druids player, but a recovering defender clears any danger.

After 15 minutes, Bala were much the better side, with attack after attack, and constant pressure on the Druids defence.

Former Druids player Nathan Peate came close for the Lakesiders on 25 minutes, as he climbed highest to meet a corner, but his header was powered over the bar.

Although it only took another couple minutes for the breakthrough… Will Evans met Burns’ cross into the box, and side footed it past then keeper into the far left corner to score his first competitive goal for the club! Just what Bala needed after the constant pressure, with something now to show for their work.

Another chance minutes after the goal, when Nathan climbed highest again from the corner, who heads back across the goal, which landed on the head of Venables, who also headed back into the danger area, where Raul pounced on it, but his header went over the bar.

Druids had their first real attempt on goal just after the half hour mark, with a long range strike from the right hand side, but Ramsay was equal to it and pushed it out of harms way.

Venables again was put through on goal following a long ball from Ramsay, but his effort wasn’t directed enough towards goal, and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Again Venables started the attack alongside Lassana Mendes, but the final pass wasn’t good enough with a defender tracking back following the 2 on 1 attack.

Seconds later, Will Evans attacked straight through the middle of the pitch, with his resulting shot being saved well by the Druids keeper.

Raul then had another chance of his own, as he turns the defender in the box, makes space for himself and takes a low shot into the corner of the goal, but the keeper gets down well to deny Raul his first Bala goal.

Venners has another chance to get on the scoresheet, but his effort on goal was blocked well by the Druids defender, as the ball looped over the bar for a corner.

Nathan then comes close again with a header, but this time a Druids defender stood firm on the goal line to clear the danger.

Minutes before the end of the first half, Mendes and Nathan both had opportunities in the final third, but none of them lead to any clear cut chance.

The whistle went to signal the end of the first half, with Bala much the better team and a scoreline that didn’t reflect on the attacking pressure that the Lakesiders were putting on the Druids defence.

The second half got underway, with same pressure from Bala as they won an early corner, however this time Spittle came and met the ball, but his header at the back post went just wide of the post.

Ramsay was called into action after just 5 minutes into the second half, but the attempt on goal was saved well by our number 1.

Will then came close to doubling his tally for the game, but his header was saved easily by the Druids keeper.

Bala’s first substitution came after an hour, with Steve Leslie replacing Lassana Mendes.

Druids started creating more opportunities to score, as they earned a free kick in a dangerous position.

The Lakesiders’ second change of the day came with Henry Jones replacing Raul Correia.

With 25 minutes left, Druids found an equaliser, Naim Arsan popped up on the edge of the box, and hit a piledriver under the arms of Ramsay to make it 1-1.

Bala now looking for a winner with 25 minutes to go. Will Evans came close with a header from a Steve Leslie cross, but the header went wide of the post.

Will Evans then picked up a yellow card minutes later for a foul.

Ben Barratt picked up a yellow for a foul on Steve Leslie with 10 minutes to go.

The third and last substitution came for Bala, with Llyr Morris making his first Cymru Premier appearance for the Lakesiders.

Following an altercation, Steve Leslie and Alex Darlington both received yellow cards.

With only minutes left of the game, Antony Kay was sent off for dissent, following 2 yellow card in the matter of seconds, meaning Bala would play the 3 minutes of added on time with 10 men.

However… seconds after Kay was sent off, a free kick for Bala on the half way line was lofted into the back post, where a bit of pinball would ensue, but the final touch in the pinball came off Nathan Peate! The keeper would hit the ball into the path of Nathan, and would bundle it into the goal! Nathan would snatch all 3 points against his former side with a stroke of luck, however the Lakesiders would definitely take it in the circumstances.

Although minutes after the goal, Nathan was taken out by Aaron Simpson with a clash of heads on the byline, with both players down with serious head injuries. Both players eventually got up with straps around their head, and Aaron Simpson was given his marching orders following a second yellow card for the foul on Nathan.

The final whistle went after a long delay following the goal and injuries to both Nathan and Aaron, but after 3 goals, 2 red cards, and multiple yellow cards for both sides, Bala would be the ones claiming the 3 points!


The Lakesiders will now set their focus on to next Sunday (27/09/2020) as they travel down to Penybont in the third league game of the season.

Featured Image Credits: Will Cheshire Photography



About The Author