Lakesiders pick up another win to keep up the heat on the two top two.

Saturday saw the Lakesiders head to Latham Park and they picked up a vital three points with seven games left to play.

Bala began strongly with their high intensity play and could’ve taken an early lead when Robles was released and went one-on-one with Jones but the keeper smothered the effort.

Down the other end, Fletcher fired over the crossbar to win a corner with the resulting corner palmed around the post by Tibbetts.

The hosts had a decent spell of pressure midway through the half but Bala were standing firm at the back and rode out the storm.

Henry Jones and Chris Venables linked up to set up Kieran Smith but his strike was fired straight at Jones prior to a massive opportunity that saw Venables denied at close range by Mills-Evans and the follow-up rattling the post by Jones.

Town’s perserverance paid off as they scored two goals in two minutes. The first came on 30 minutes as Ollie Shannon’s cross into the box wasn’t dealt with by Newtown allowing for Robles to react instantly on the loose ball and fire into the far corner.

The restart followed and Town made it 2-0. Henry Jones’ 30 yard effort deflected off Mills-Evans to Chris Venables who took advantage of the napping Newtown backline to dance past Jones and score into a gaping net.

Bala kept the ball well until the interval and took in their 2-0 lead after an excellent first half display.

Newtown came out with fresh impetous in the second half with Sheridan firing wide from the edge of the eighteen and Rushton firing over the bar for the hosts in the opening minutes.

Bala had a solid spell of pressure themselves when Robles broke free once again and squared the ball to Jones but it was placed over the crossbar before Kieran Smith got on the end of a brilliant passing move by Town but his chance went over the bar.

On the 69th minute, Town saw the ball in the back of the net when Robles teed-up Venables who slotted home for it to be deemed offside. This moment which should’ve seen the Lakesiders make it 3-0 actually saw it turn to 2-1 as Newtown broke forward, Mwandwe delivered a ball into the area and Sheridan headed home to half the defecit.

With their tails up, Newtown had a series of corners and freekicks but Bala were able to clear all the efforts before Tibbetts made an excellent reaction save to keep out Fletcher’s goalbound header.

The pressure from the hosts continued but Town were standing firm and even with five minutes of injury time shown, were battling for each ball and keep their lead to seal a crucial win.

After the fulltime whistle, red cards were shown to Sheridan and Rushton for protests and dissent which didn’t involve any Town players.

An excellent three points for the Lakesiders against tricky opposition which has seen them earn 7 points in their last three games with seven left to play.

Match photos from today’s game can been here.

About The Author