Lakesiders undone by injury time winner for second week in a row.

Missed chances proved costly for the Lakesiders on Saturday as a late comeback from the Ancients saw Town lose in the final seconds in the final match of phase one.

Town began with plenty of intensity and tested early on with Burke’s 30 yard strike soaring over the woodwork prior to Henry Jones’ curling effort saved by the goalkeeper.

Bala were playing some fast flowing tidy football and could’ve been 1-0 up midway through the half when an attack down the right was cleared into Robles’ path but was fired straight into the Smith and deflected out for a goalkick.

A cross by Burns into the area was cleared by Peate before Smith, Jones and Mendes combined on the left but Town were unable to capitalise on the solid spell of possession.

Before the break, Jones saw his bullet header palmed away by the keeper before Burns was tumbled in the box but saw his penalty claims waved away.

The second half couldn’t have started any better for the Lakesiders who took the lead after three minutes of play.

Bala broke down the right with Burns overlapping and drilling the ball into the box which Robles initially headed in but saw it pushed back into his path for him to turn in from 4 yards out.

Town were dominating and should’ve been further ahead when a scramble on the line saw Jones and Venables not able to take advantage of the ball bouncing around in the area prior to Venables missing Mendes’ teasing ball into the box minutes later.

A series of corner kicks saw Mendes having a chance from distance but it went over the crossbar before Venables strike was collected by Jones.

Slightly against the run of play, the visitors hit back. Jamie Reed got on the end of Arsan’s cross and rocketed the ball in from the edge of the six yard box when Bala failed to clear the danger.

Town brought on Leslie, Shannon and Hayes in an attempt to restore their lead but Druids had their tails up with Tibbetts called into action to deny the Ancients.

With Bala playing high up the pitch and the pressure mounting, it was devastation for a second successive Saturday with a 93rd minute winner for the opponents when Jamie Reed got on the end of a long defensive clearance and slid the ball into the net from eighteen yards out.

Disappointment for the Lakesiders once again with those countless missed opportunities proving costly after a great team display.

Bala end the first half of the season in third position ahead of the Championship Conference that will get underway in February.

About The Author