Lakesiders cruise to comfortable victory!

Saturday afternoon saw the Lakesiders extend their unbeaten league form with an impressive win against The Old Gold.

With new manager Kris O’Leary at the helm, it wasn’t easy for the Lakesiders in the first half who were finding it difficult to break down the resilient Carmarthen back four.

Town started with purpose with Mendes testing Idzi in the opening minutes before a series of early freekicks being cleared away by the home side.

Carmarthen had opportunities themselves with a freekick curling over the bar before they had a massive double chance with Tibbetts and Spittle putting their bodies on the line to keep the ball out of the net.

There was plenty of pressure by the Lakesiders who were slowly building some momentum.

A brilliant ball from Robles picked out Mendes who drove into the box but he put the ball into the side netting.

Venables allowed Robles to break on the half hour mark, but he pulled his shot wide of the far upright before a fantastic move by Bala which started through Stephens into Smith and then Jones who saw his strike pushed away by Idzi.

Bala were playing some fantastic football and broke once again with Stephens, Smith and Mendes involved but the ball narrowly creeped out for a corner following a slight deflection.

On the halftime whistle, the perserversance paid off and Bala went ahead. Jones’ teasing delivery met the head of Robles who flicked the ball home to take the Lakesiders into the interval with the lead.

Town delivered a stunning second half display that saw them dominate the play and look as if they were going to score on every attack.

It was the perfect start to the second period when they doubled their advantage as Henry Jones powered the ball into the bottom left hand corner from the edge of the box after 56 minutes.

With the wind now in the sails, Town upped the tempo and started to carve Carmarthen open.

Jones saw his chance collected before a square pass across the face of goal by Robles arrived to an unmarked Smith at backpost but he miss-timed his run and missed the ball by inches!

Mendes and Burke were pulling the strings in the middle with Venables, Jones and Smith causing numerous problems for Carmarthen. A ball in by Jones arrived to Robles but the ball fizzed wide of the post.

Nine minutes from time, the three points were made safe when Henry Jones scored his second of the afternoon when Hayes’ initial shot was palmed out of the box into Jones’ path which was rocketed into the net and making it 3-0.

Jones could’ve had his hatrick in the final minute when his close range opportunity was denied with a last ditch by Knott before he went one on one in the final minute of time but it trickled wide of the target.

Plenty of determination showed by the Lakesiders to bide their time and take their chances when it mattered which takes them up to third spot in the table.

Match photos can be seen here.

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor