No Final spot for the Lakesiders after Cup Semi Final loss.

The Lakesiders fell at the final hurdle on Saturday afternoon as they exited the Nathaniel MG Cars League Cup after a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Connah’s Quay.

On a difficult playing surface, Bala started well with Venables glancing a header wide of the far upright before Henry Jones fired over the crossbar from around 25 yards out.

However, Town were dealt an early blow when Sean Smith brought down Insall in the area for referee Rob Jenkins pointed to the spot. Callum Morris stepped up and cooly slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to give the Nomads the lead after 12 minutes.

Town didn’t let their heads drop despite being a goal down and delivered an excellent performance as they looked to play and open up the Quay defence.

Bala were building a spell of pressure which they almost capitalised on when Lassana Mendes’ header was cleared off the line by George Horan to keep the home sides lead.

Next to test was Jones who curled a thirty yard strike just around the upright before Horan cleared another inswinging ball from the wing.

Leslie picked up the ball 25 yards out but the ball was way off target prior to Molyneux seeing his low drive zip past the near post.

Regardless of Town’s opportunities, it was a huge blow when the Nomads doubled their advantage against the run of play.

Holmes linked up with Poole who fired straight at Tibbetts but the follow-up came to Michael Wilde who tucked the ball over the line from close range making it 2-0 with three minutes until the interval.

Town had a mountain to climb in the second half to overturn their defecit but much to their credit, they kept persevering and continued to deliver a much improved performance to last week’s v Airbus.

The second half saw Town start brightly with Kieran Smith half volleying the ball over the bar after the ball bounced around the eighteen yard box.

A superb set piece by the Lakesiders between Molyneux and Leslie saw a goalbound shot palmed away by Brass in the Nomads net.

Bala’s great spell continued and they had an excellent chance when Louis Robles rattled the crossbar after a break down the right wing before Horan cleared away another Town effort.

As much as Town tried they were struggling to break down the physical Quay backline who had shut up shop and making it a tough afternoon for the Lakesiders.

Brass punched away a Town freekick before Spittle kept away Woolfe’s teasing ball into the area at the other end.

Town were throwing the kitchen sink at the Nomads but there was always a crucial header or block by one of the defenders that saw the ball either go out of play or cleared away from danger which meant it was too little too late for the Lakesiders.

On the whole, a very good Town display who battled hard and showed plenty of determination but just fell short against a team that were set up well.

About The Author