Fantastic five for the Lakesiders!

The Lakesiders ran riot in the Friday night football with a sublime second half performance to keep another clean sheet and add another five goals to their tally this season.

Much to their credit, Aberystwyth more than tested the Lakesiders in the first half and might have felt hard done by to be trailing at the interval.

The start was quite scrappy with no threatening chances on goal in the opening quarter but it was the home side who looked brightest as they passed the ball around well and started to build some momentum with Marc Williams forcing Tibbetts into an early save before Edwards placed a header wide of the post.

Bala’s backline was busy as Spittle and Stephens cleared the danger on a number of occasions with Aber almost going ahead on 15 minutes when Phillips drove forward and passing the ball to the wing before getting on the end of the returning cross but Tibbetts saved well.

Town started to come back however with a sustained spell of pressure in the Aber half of the field with Jones and Robles pressing.

A mix up at the back saw Roberts slice a clearance into the path of Venables but when he broke into the area, his touch was heavy and the ball went out of play.

Robles was bundled over in the box but play continued with Burns putting a great ball into the area but it was struck over the crossbar by Jones.

With 28 minutes played, Town took an unlikely lead. A fantastic counter attack from Venables saw him flick the ball through Jenkins’ legs into the path of Henry Jones who took the ball in his stride and blast the ball low into the back of the net.

Aber almost levelled from the restart when a corner came into the area which Williams got on the end of but it rattled the bar.

A minute before the break, Bala doubled their lead. Burke’s corner picked out Stephens which he flicked on goalwards towards an unmarked Robles who got a crucial header on it to divert the ball into the far post making it 2-0 to the Lakesiders at the interval.

Town’s second half display was much improved with plenty of impetitous in their play as they looked to build on their two goal advantage.

Steve Leslie fired inches wide of the post prior to Venables putting the ball in the net in the 54th minute but seeing it disallowed for a foul in the box.

On the wing, Kieran Smith combined with Robles but the flag was up as they broke into the box followed by Aberystwyth clearing Spittle and Leslie’s efforts off the goalline as a third goal loomed.

A moment of class came on the 70th minute when Chris Venables made it 3-0 as he dances around Philipps and unleashed a stunning strike into the top corner from the edge of the eighteen yard box and firmly putting himself in contention for goal of the month!

The goals came flooding in as five minutes later, a fourth was added when Roberts poor clearance fell to Henry Jones who burst into the box after a one-two with Smith and setting up Robles who released a rocket of a right footed volley into the net.

Bala were playing with confidence and looking like a threat each time they went on the attack.

A freekick by Jones was curled over the bar from 20 yards before Roberts was called into action to keep out Leslie’s header.

Seven minutes from time, Town made it five. Robles lob was pushed onto the bar by Roberts but the ball fell to Venables three yards out who nodded the ball over the line.

A night of clinical finishing from the Lakesiders which will have frustrated the home side who created plenty in the first half but couldn’t put them away. Up to third in the table for Town who now face Airbus next Friday.

Match photos can be seen here.

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor