Sudden death shootout seals win for the Lakesiders!

The Lakesiders booked themselves a spot in the Quarter Finals of the Nathaniel MG Cars League Cup on Tuesday evening after a 7-6 penalty shootout win against JD Cymru North outfit Bangor City.

It was a frantic start to proceedings at a wet Maes Tegid with clear cut chances few and far between for both outfits during the first half.

Mendes had Town’s first opportunity on goal as his low drive went wide of the far upright from the edge of the box after five minutes of play.

The game was quite scrappy at times with no team taking a full hold of the game with Bangor looking to break quickly but Spittle and Stephens at the back for Town keeping them at bay.

Neto’s strike was fired straight at Morris in the Bala net before Molyneux won a freekick down the other end on the touchline which was taken quickly and finding Robles but the forward firing wide.

Bala were having a good spell of possession with Jones teeing up Robles but Atkinson managed to get to it first.

On the half hour mark, Town took advantage of their pressure and took the lead. Molyneux initially fired into the box but it bounced back into Robles’ path and he lobbed the keeper from 6 yards with a looping effort. After an initial offside flag, the decision was overturned and Bala were 1-0 up.

City came back into the game at the end of the half with Baio blazing over and then Neto seeing his chance collected by Morris.

Bala thought they’d begun the second half in the best fashion when Lassana Mendes fired in with a long range effort but it was denied as Jones was impeding on Atkinson’s view whilst offside.

With 59 minutes played, City were back level when Serafino’s superb strike from the edge of the box flew into the right hand side to make it 1-1.

The visitors had their tails up with Serafino firing wide and Neto shooting over as they looked to take the lead.

Atkinson kept out Burke’s low daisycutter prior to Sean Smith driving down the wing and into the area for the keeper to smother to ball.

With no sign of a winner, the whistle blew for fulltime and to penalties we went.

Firing towards the Ifan Vet end, City were up first with Sammartino stepping up first and scoring. Venables was next for Town making it 1-1. Serafino made it 2-1 before Burke levelled to make it 2-2.

Former Lakesider David Thompson was third up and saw his spotkick saved by Morris but Henry Jones who was next for Town also saw his kick saved by Atkinson keeping it to 2-2.

Baio made it 3 and so did Molyneux to make it 3-3. Vieira and Horwood put their penalties away to make it 4-4 after five penalties meaning it was now sudden death.

Neto and Spittle ensured it went to 5-5 followed by Leghissa and Mendes meaning it was now 6-6.

Ashley Morris superbly saved Cauterucci’s strike down to his left which meant that a Town penalty now would seal the tie.

Defender Andy Burns stepped up and rocketed the ball home on his 50th appearance for the Lakesiders to book an away trip to Prestatyn Town in the Quarter Finals of the Nathaniel MG Cars League Cup.

Match photos can be seen here.

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor