Sensational six for the Lakesiders!

Saturday was a day when everything from a Town perspective went their way and their excellent team performance saw them deservedly take away all three points from the KYMCO Stadium.

With only one change to the line-up that saw Henry Jones come in for Lee Molyneux, it was a perfect start to the game with Henry making an instant impact after two minutes of play.

A ball came forward from Anthony Stephens into the path of Chris Venables which allowed him to find Jones who fired low into the bottom left hand corner from edge of the box.

Bala saw plenty of the ball in the early stages as they applied pressure onto Penybont with Jones shooting over following a corner and then placing the ball wide after the next passage of play.

With nine minutes played, Town were awarded a penalty as Burns was tumbled in the box by Warlow. Chris Venables stepped up and blasted the ball into the roof of the net doubling Town’s advantage.

Town continued to dominate with Nathan Burke narrowly missing the target from 25 yards with Jones then seeing his effort saved by the goalkeeper.

Bala added a third on 26 minutes when Stuart Jones was at the backpost and headed the goal across the face of goal that saw Mendes get a crucial touch to turn the ball in over the line.

However from the restart Bont got themselves back into the game as they broke down the right and Luke Borrelli fired in after Bala failed to clear the attack.

This didn’t stop Town however who were still pressing forward and looking to add more goals to their tally.

A fourth goal came on 39 minutes when Louis Robles nudged the ball in from close range which creeped under Wilson’s body.

Before the interval, another goal came to take the total up to five as Jones this time was tripped in the box for the referee to point to the spot for a second time. Venables put himself forward once more and duly dispatched the ball down the left hand side making it 5-1 at the break.

Even with their comfortable lead, Town continued with their pressing throughout the second half and could’ve gone further ahead when Henry Jones’ teasing cross rattled the woodwork prior to Venables’ goalbound header cleared by the Bont defence.

Smith, Horwood and Molyneux were introduced as Town cranked up the pressure.

Down the other end of the pitch, Penybont had a couple of half chances but didn’t test goalkeeper Ashley Morris who had a quiet afternoon in the Bala net.

A strike by Kieran Smith on the left was driven into the side netting before Bala had their 6th of the afternoon.

The 73rd minute saw a fantastic set piece on the edge of the area brought into the area and met an umarked Stuart Jones at the backpost who bulleted the ball home with a powerful header.

With the game now out of sight, Town were carving the home side open and keeping possession brilliantly as they were seeing the game out.

Before the end, Venables had his hopes of a hatrick dashed when his finish from 10 yards was disallowed for being offside.

A comprehensive afternoon for the Lakesiders who will be delighted with their efforts after last week’s defeat against Connah’s Quay.

Next week Town are away at Newtown – kickoff 2.30p.m. at Latham Park.

Match photos can be seen here.

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor