Wilde header separates the Town and Nomads

The Lakesiders brought August to an end at home at a blustery Maes Tegid welcoming Connah’s Quay.

Chances were few and far between during the first forty five minutes with the ball in the air for much of the half making the game frantic and nothing really separating the sides.

Town’s first opportunity came from Lassana Mendes who’s spectacular 35 yard chance was saved by Brass in the Quay net.

Morris denied Wilde down the other end with Molyneux releasing Robles but he was deemed offside by the linesman.

Molyneux’s edge of the box freekick went unchallenged prior to Sean Smith making an astonishing last ditch body block on the line to keep out Mike Wilde’s goalbound header.

Before the break, Town were applying pressure and almost went ahead when the broke quickly on the right seeing Robles win a corner. The ball was swung into the area but somehow, Quay’s melee of bodies in the box managed to clear the danger.

Morris made a great save at the start of the half to stop Woolfe’s chance meanwhile Venables did some excellent work to set up Molyneux but Harrison cleared the danger.

It was apparent that only one chance from either outfit was going to seal the victory and it came on the 69th for the Nomads as a freekick was delivered into the area leading to Wilde outjumping everyone and head home to give the visitors the lead.

The goal lead to Bala raising their pressure and finish the game strongly as they looked to reply.

A suspected handball in the box from Stuart Jones’ shot was waved away before Town brought on Kieran Smith, Evan Horwood and Henry Jones for some fresh legs.

Jones immediately put a stunning defence splitting ball through to Robles but the flag was up before Jones’ twenty five yard freekick soared over the crossbar.

Sean Smith flew down the wing in a quick counter attack by the Lakesiders feeding Louis Robles who was floored in the penalty area by Farquharson but once again, nothing was awarded.

Bala were throwing everything at Quay in stoppage time but were denied their equaliser when Brass came to collect a teasing Town corner kick in the final minute.

Not a classic match by far at Maes Tegid but after a physically demanding week, Town will be looking forward to regrouping away at Penybont next week.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor