Thirty nine meetings but Town finally win against The New Saints!

It was a historic night at Maes Tegid as Town notched their first ever win against last season’s league winners The New Saints.

Town’s performance was fantastic from start to finish as all the lads dug deep and put in one of the best displays seen at Maes Tegid for a long time!

Bala started very well and could’ve taken the lead after three minutes as Chris Venables rattled the crossbar with a header.

Both teams had early opportunities but nothing of huge significance with Hudson forced to clear a Bala effort and Dean Ebbe heading wide of the far upright.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock as Dean Ebbe bundled in a header at the backpost after a deep cross from the left found him unmarked.

Before the interval, the visitors started to crank up the pressure but weren’t able to capitalise on their possession.

Venables had another massive opportunity to equalise when he hit the crossbar once again with a header late on in the half.

Trailing at the break it was a superb second half display by the Lakesiders to take the deserved victory.

Stu Jones had a powerful header tipped over the crossbar with Mendes who delievred a man of the match display let fire also over the woodwork.

On the 50 minute mark, Bala were back on level terms as a corner was taken and headed on by Stephens into the six yard box which Venables swung his foot around to blast home.

Three minutes later, Town took the lead when Louis Robles capitalised on a goalmouth scramble and prodded the ball in from 2 yards out and sending the Bala supporters into massive celebrations.

The Lakesiders were growing in confidence with Mendes, Leslie and Burke working extremely hard in midfield to allow Molyneux, Venables and Robles to pressure the Saints back four who were looking shaky at the back.

Another effort by Robles was tipped over by Harrison with Bala looking a danger on the attack.

The New Saints brought on Cieslewicz, Whitehouse and Draper as they looked for a reply but the Bala back four were resilient and kept them at bay.

Draper put a header against the bar before Town added a third with only four minutes left to play.

A freekick was delivered into the area and Venables put his foot around the ball and smashed it into the roof of the net making it 3-1 and sending the crowd into sheer disbelief!

A worthy win for the Lakesiders who should be extremely proud of their performance and workrate this evening. Finally we can say we have a win against The New Saints at the 39th time of asking!

It’s a quick turnaround for Town who play Barry Town United on Bank Holiday Monday.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor