Venables hits a double as Town start league campaign with a win.

The 2019/20 began on Friday evening away at Broughton as the Lakesiders took on newly promoted outfit Airbus in the season opener of the new JD Cymru League season.

As expected the game started at full pace with both sides testing in the opening minutes. Former Lakesider Jordan Evans saw his spectacular effort fizzle over the crossbar meanwhile down the other end, Lassana Mendes pulled a strike wide of the post.

Town had a fantastic first half that saw them dominate the opening 45 minutes as they caused problems for Airbus and had plenty of attempts on goal.

Lee Molyneux saw an initial effort saved by Roberts prior to Venables sending the follow-up chance wide of the left post with Molyneux again in the mix minutes later as his edge of the box strike went inches wide.

Bala were mounting the pressure with Burns making a brilliant break on the wing and picking out Mendes but his header was denied by the goalkeeper with Town looking a threat on each attack.

Midway through the half, Town were awarded a penalty when Roberts fouled Robles in the area and the referee pointing straight to the spot. Chris Venables stepped up and confidently nestled the ball into the net giving the Lakesiders the lead on 24 minutes.

The Lakesiders continued to threaten with Robles and Leslie looking a danger on the counter attack with Molyneux and Robles putting further efforts wide of the uprights.

Down the other end, Josh Tibbetts was called into action when he saved Andy Owens strike in a rare Airbus first half chance.

Before the interval, Molyneux almost added a second when his daisycutter rattled the base of the post following a fantastic passage of play.

In injury time, a second was scored when a corner was delivered into the area, flicked onwards by Stephens and pounced upon by Venables who beat the offside trap and buried the ball into the net for Town to take a 2-0 lead into the break.

The second half was a completely different half to the first with Airbus putting on the pressure and making things difficult for the Lakesiders.

Goalkeeper Tibbetts was forced into action as he tipped over a goalbound effort over the crossbar only minutes into the half.

The Wingmakers halved the scoreline on 58 minutes when Curtis Strong unleashed a rocket of a strike into the top right hand corner from the edge of the area to make it 1-2.

Airbus were playing some good football with Bala having to defend strongly at the back to keep them from a leveller with Tibbetts making three exeptional stops to deny them.

Town had the ball in the net through Robles in the final ten minutes but saw it ruled out for offside as Bala had to dig deep to keep Airbus’ threat at bay which they managed to do thankfully.

Overall a good start for the Lakesiders who did very well in the first half but have things to work on after a testing second half performance from an Airbus side who will be no pushovers this season.

Match photos from tonight’s match can be seen here.

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor