The Reserves earn a point in their first league fixture!

Our Reserves started their league campaign away in Brymbo on Saturday (10th of August) With weather conditions not helping, both teams had minor difficulties playing the ball out from goal kicks, therefore they needed to adapt to playing in the windy conditions.

The match started with Bala having most of the possession, therefore it only took them 8 minutes to get their first league goal! Bala were given a corner, which was put right on the keeper, and with the conditions, the ball held up in the air and dropped onto the keeper, who spilt it into the net, with questions of it actually going over the line, however the ref was there to confirm it had gone in from the keeper, and Bala were ahead!

Not long after Bala making it 1-0, Dave Yates came very close to making it 2 after a perfect ball in by Tommy Redgrift was head onto the post and out for a goal kick, very unlucky, promising stuff by Bala.

Again the woodwork comes into play, as AJ Galdo intercepted a ball in the midfield, leaving him with time to attempt to dink the keeper, however the ball hit the crossbar and came back out to the keeper.

Bala had plenty of chances to make it 2-0 or even 3-0, and after having a really dominant half, all their work was undone by another late penalty right on the end of the 1st half, as the Brymbo forward collided with 2 Bala players and went down. He was left with shiner just below his eye following the collision.

The resulting penalty was saved well by Dom Walker in goal, down to his left well, however the rebound was headed in to make it 1-1 with the last touch of the half.

A solid first half performance undone by another penalty. However with the wind blowing against our lads, they’d have to work even harder in the second!

The second half started with Brymbo conceding a corner, however slight bit of pushing and shoving in the box lead to a Brymbo free kick.

Throughout the second half, not much happened besides a few half chances on goal for both teams. It wasn’t until the 88th minute that there was a clear cut chance, however Cai’s shot on goal was saved well by the Brymbo shot stopper.

Our referee added a couple of minutes on at the end, and our Reserves were looking for the winner, as they pressed the Brymbo defence, they got another chance as Andy Kelly hit a solid strike on goal, but again the Brymbo keeper was there to push it out for a corner.

Cai had one last chance to win the game with a free kick on the edge of the box, but couldn’t beat the keeper and the game finished 1-1.

A solid point in our Reserves’ first league game, however more work to be done to earn their first 3 points of the campaign. They’ll try to earn 3 points next Tuesday (13th of August) as they welcome Llangollen Town Reserves to Maes Tegid ahead of their 2nd league game!

Information on player sponsorship opportunities will be released soon! To stay informed check us out on both social media platforms. Twitter – / Facebook –

About The Author