A hard pill to swallow, despite a brilliant performance.

Our Reserves bow out of the NEWFA Cup in the first round, following a 5-2 defeat to Caerwys on Wednesday night (7th of August) However the result does not reflect on the performance given by every single one of our lads.

The game started with the visitors having most of the ball, as it took our Reserves a while to get into the game. The breakthrough came on just 10 minutes, as Caerwys put in a cross from the left hand flank, which got through our defence and was then poked home by the opposing forward.

Dion Jones was quick off his line to clear a ball onto an opposing player on 17 minutes, to ensure Caerwys had not doubled their lead.

Following the goal, our lads were building confidence going forward, with Cai Aykroyd having an effort on goal that sailed over the bar.

However it took only 8 minutes later for Cai to take his chance as a ball over the top from our midfield, which was flicked on from an opposing player and into Cai who dinked the keeper from the edge of the box! Right back into it on the half hour mark.

A few chances came and gone for both sides, until 5 minutes before the closure of the first half, as a corner came in, and was half cleared to the edge of the box, which landed to Tom Lloyd who striked a half volley which deflected off a opposing defender and into the top corner! 2-1!

That was the end of the half with our reserves 2-1 ahead! Much better performance throughout the 2nd part of the half, and looking to improve on that in the second half.

The second half started the same as the first, with the visitors having most of the chances, however Dion Jones in goal was there to tip one of those chances over the bar and concede a corner.

A yellow card was brandished to Cai Aykroyd for kicking the ball away, although the visitors picked one up soon after for dissent.

Cai then had a goal deemed offside, after pinball on the edge of the box leaved Cai free just behind the defender, who finished it off brilliantly, however the ref had called for offside. Very unlucky going into the last 20 minutes.

It was all action for Cai as he then picked up a second booking, and was sent off for standing in front of an opposing free kick which resulted in the player striking the ball towards Cai, leading to the red card.

Things got worse for our Reserves, with just about 30 seconds to go until the final whistle, with every player out of energy after putting in a massive shift throughout the whole game… a penalty was given against them which was converted by the visitors to take the game to extra time.

After 90 minutes of football, our lads had given it their all, very unlucky to concede a penalty in the last few seconds. They were facing another 30 minutes of football and possibly a penalty shootout.

As soon as the first half of extra time had started, Dion Jones was called into action after a corner came in and an attempt on target was tipped over the bar. The visitors started applying the pressure as soon as they saw our lads were out on their feet almost.

A quiet rest to the half saw the score still at 2-2 with another 15 minutes to come.

Caerwys took their chances in the second half of extra time by taking the lead within 3 minutes of the restart. Our lads were now out on their feet, trying to claw back a goal, however they were then prone to counter attacks, which is exactly what happened, as Caerwys then grabbed a 4th and a 5th to end extra time with a 5-2 lead.

A disappointing end to a brilliant performance by our lads, who unfortunately bow out of the NEWFA Cup with their head held high, knowing they did themselfs, the manager, and everyone involved with the club, proud with how they dealt with such tough opposition.

Information on player sponsorship opportunities will be released soon! To stay informed check us out on both social media platforms. Twitter – https://twitter.com/BalaTownRFC?lang=en / Facebook – https://facebook.com/BalaTownRFC/

About The Author