New Lakesiders shine in first game of the season!

The Lakesiders kicked off the 2019/20 season in spectacular fashion with a superb team display in the 2nd Round of the Nathaniel MG Cars Cup against Gresford Athletic.

From the outset, Town set the standard and immediately applied pressure with some high intensity pressing which caught our opponents off guard and caused them problems.

The first chance fell to Louis Robles who pulled a shot wide from 18 yards prior to Steve Leslie firing an opportunity straight at goalkeeper Ben Jones.

Town’s early pressure paid off as 22 minutes in, Bala took the lead. The high press caused wasn’t dealt with by the visitors and Steve Leslie collected the ball and fired low in the bottom corner of the net from around the edge of the area.

Bala doubled their lead five minutes later when Sean Smith started a break down the left hand side and Gresford’s failure to clear saw the ball fall to Robles who rocketed the ball past Jones.

Molyneux, Mendes, Venables and Leslie were linking up brilliantly and with Town keeping hold of the majority of possession, Gresford were having to defend hard as they tried to play out from the back much to their credit.

Before the break, Athletic had a dangerous chance as a cross from the right switched over to the left wing to be delivered into the area but Anthony Stephens cleared the threat.

The second half couldn’t have started any better than it did for the Lakesiders who scored immediately from the restart when Robles added his second of the night when he buried his effort from the edge of the box to make it 3-0.

It got even better for Town after 50 minutes when it was 4-0 as Venables smashed in from around 12 yards after more counter attacking play from Bala.

Even in the blustery conditions, both sides were looking to play across the floor with Town taking more of a hold of the game as it continued.

Stephens had a strike pushed away, Jones’ header from a corner was collected before Burns and Molyneux also saw their opportunities go over the bar.

In the 65th minute, a debut hatrick for Robles was secured when he powered the ball in from 13 yards to notch the Lakesiders’ 5th of the night.

A minute later it was 6-0 when Lee Molyneux found the ball arrive to his feet 35 yards out and bulleted a low drive into the bottom corner.

Gresford weren’t done however as they had a superb chance to get a goal back as they caught Town on the break and Jake Eyre hit the base of the post.

Following Leslie’s disallowed strike with 15 left on the clock, Bala earned their seventh as substitute Henry Jones was brought down in the box for a penalty which he dispatched brilliantly into the top corner.

A fantastic performance by the Lakesiders who cruised to victory in the second half  and thoroughly deserve their place in the 3rd Round draw.

Good luck to Gresford for the new season! Plenty of credit must be given to their players who kept going from 0-90 regardless of the scoreline.

Match photos can be seen here.

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor