The Lakesiders welcomed a strong Crewe side on Tuesday evening in sweltering heat to a roasting Maes Tegid.

With players such as Perry Ng and Billy Sass-Davies in the Crewe line-up, it was going to be a difficult evening for Bala and that was proven after two minutes of play when the Railwaymen took the lead when Charlie Kirk scored from a far post tap in.

Crewe who were managed on the evening by former Lakesider Kenny Lunt were playing very impressive quick counter attacking football and soon it was 2-0 when the visitors took advantage of Kieran Smith being down injured in the opposite box, broke forward and delivered a ball into Callum Ainley who added their second of the night.

Town were finding it hard to break down the Crewe backline but came close to scoring then Trialist D applied pressure and forced them into a mistake but Henry Jones wasn’t able to pounce on the loose ball.

On the half hour mark, Ryan Wintle made it 3-0 with a lovely finish into the far side of the net from inside the area.

Jones found Trialist D after a move down the left but Jaaskelainen made a comfortable save.

Prior to the interval, Crewe added a fourth when a quick passage of play arrived to Reilly who finished with a class strike.

The second half was better by Bala who grew into the game and started to cause some problems for the visitors.

A moment of controversy saw Trialist F get the ball in the net for Town but a Crewe centre half able to clear the ball of the line after it had crossed the line and the goal disallowed.

However a minute later it was 4-1 when Bala capped a fantastic move when Trialist D saw his strike from 10 yards pushed into the path of Venables who hammered the ball into the net.

Bala were having a solid spell of pressure and coming more and more into the game but were dealt a set back as Crewe scored a 5th with a rocket of a strike from around 12 yards from Ainley.

Town’s trialist shotstopper made a series of superb reaction saves to keep Crewe from scoring a sixth.

Hayes went one on one with the goalkeeper but saw his tame effort cleared by Ng before Bala scored another.

A header onwards by Trialist C arrived to Hayes who cooly lobbed the goalkeeper from 16 yards to make the score 2-5 five minutes from time.

It was a tough night for Town but a very useful runout against resilient opposition. Good luck to Crewe for the forthcoming season.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor