Penalties heartbreak for Town as Met seal European spot.

There was devastation for the Lakesiders on Sunday evening as their European hopes were cruelly dashed on penalties.

Town started well with Henry Jones forcing Fuller to save his effort before Venables flicked a header wide of the post.

The visitors should’ve been ahead after 12 minutes when Roscrow got on the end of a superb Evans cross but his header blasted against the post.

Midway through the half, Town took the lead as Burke’s looping cross was flicked on by Kieran Smith to Henry Jones was fired in from close range.

However Bala’s lead was shortlived as four minutes later, Met broke quickly down the left through Will Evans who pulled the ball back into the area which Jones parried away but arrived into the path of Eliot Evans who buried the ball into the net.

Bala came back into the game after the equaliser with a scramble in the area which Hayes couldn’t capitalise on and then a Smith cross tried to find Sean Smith but was slightly mistimed.

Before the break, Kieran Smith almost added Town’s second but the chance went into the side netting after good play by Bala.

The second half opened up as the game became end to end but not many clear cut chances for either side.

Hayes set up Jones but Fuller pushed the ball away before Fuller made a terrific stop to deny Smith from around 25 yards.

Chris Baker had a massive opportunity for the visitors when his header met the crossbar before fulltime.

So extra time was ahead of us with another half hour to play for Town and Met’s tired legs.

Gosset fired narrowly wide and then Hayes’ chance from the edge of the box soared over prior to Met hitting the post through Baker before it was cleared by Burke.

Heavy legs were kicking in but both defences were staying strong with Stephens’ low drive was pushed away before Bala had the two chances that could’ve changed everything when they hit the crossbar twice in the same move in a massive six yard box scramble that was eventually hacked away two minutes from time.

The Playoffs were to be decided by penalties and it was not to be for the Lakesiders with Town’s first three penalties missed and saved and Met winning 3-1 on the night.

A cruel end to the season but congratulations to everyone involved with Cardiff Met on their European qualification.

Role on the 2019/20 season!

c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c6 c7 c8

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor