It’s a real Good Friday for the Lakesiders!

Town secured a much needed three points in the wonderful spring sunshine at Latham Park. The injury hit squad saw Keighan Jones making his debut in goal instead of Ashley Morris and Anthony Stephens missing out due to suspension.

Bala started really well with Chris Seargeant’s edge of the box strike saved by the Newtown goalkeeper.

There was only five minutes on the clock with Bala taking an early lead. A freekick around the touchline was swung in by Henry Jones and headed in by an unmarked Chris Venables.

It was almost level immediately from the restart as Rushton rattled the crossbar for the Robins.

Henry Jones headed wide of the far post for the Lakesiders before Newtown had a solid spell of pressure that saw them have a goal disallowed and then bring the game level.

A cheap freekick was conceded by the Town defence which Steve Leslie nestled into the bottom left hand corner on 23 minutes.

Five minutes later, Newtown doubled their lead when they broke on the counter following a handball shout in their box and Rushton fired in to make it 2-1.

On 40 minutes Bala brought the game to 2-2. Jones once again set up Venables just like the first which he pinged into the net meaning it was level at the interval.

The second half saw Newtown have a good spell of play from the restart when a free header sailed past the post and another shot from range fly over the crossbar.

Town replied with some decent opportunities themselves with Jones seeing the keeper off his line but his lob was deemed offside, Miley seeing his nearpost header saved after a corner and Jones’ low 25 yard goalbound shot being turned around the post by Dave Jones.

After 75 minutes Bala got a deserved third as Kieran Smith’s ball along the line was ran onto by Hayes who drove into the area, skipping around Jones and placing the ball into the net making it 2-3 and edging Town closer to a vital three points.

Newtown applied late pressure with Boundford going extremely close to salvaging a point when he got on the end of a cross but pulled his shot wide across the face of goal.

A massive and important win for the Lakesiders to raise their confidence going into the final game of the season against Caernarfon at Maes Tegid next week.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor