Better by Bala but Quay seal victory in the Friday night football.

The Lakesiders were on the back of another defeat when high flying Connah’s Quay secured a win to deny The New Saints from picking up the title….for 24 hours at least!

Things didn’t start well as Nathan Woolfe who’d been recalled from Airbus in the week netted after six minutes after Holmes’ long throw was headed on by Wilde into his path at the backpost.

Connah’s Quay were a danger on the attack and almost doubled their lead when Horan’s header was pushed away by Morris.

On 17 minutes, the Lakesiders brought the game back to 1-1. Stephens’ freekick just inside the half was sent in central into Kieran Smith was headed to Henry Jones who saw his initial effort blocked by Brass but slid in with the follow up to make it level.

Bala were having a good spell of pressure with Henry Jones almost getting another but Brass coming to Quay’s rescue.

Even though Bala were doing well, they found themselves trailing once more on 26 minutes. Callum Morris picked out an unmarked Woolfe unleashed a stunning strike from the edge of the area to make it 2-1.

Town continued to get themselves back into the game with Jones denied by Brass from 18 yards, another double chance for Jones was just about hacked away in the six yard box and Jones seeing a fourth goalscoring opportunity pushed around the post.

Unfortunately for Bala, the second half started badly as Woolfe scored his 3rd of the night only two minutes in when Holmes’ long throw bounced around in the area, not dealt with by Bala and drilled in high to the top corner.

Bala were deflated after conceeding and chances were few and far between as they battled against the physical Quay outfit. Kieran Smith’s low drive from just outside the box was collected and a number of crosses came into the area but despite Bala’s shouts for fouls, they were all waved away by the officials.

Town were dealt a further blow a quarter an hour from time when Anthony Stephens was dismissed for a second yellow meaning Bala were to end the game with 10 men.

With four minutes left to play, Quay added a fourth when Adam Barton slotted in at the backpost unmarked to seal the win for the visitors.

There was improvement by the Lakesiders but with the final run-in on the way ahead of the WPL playoffs, there’s still plenty to play for regardless of recent results.

Match photos by Naomi Jones


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor