Second half comeback sees the Lakesiders lose at the League leaders.

In a competitive Friday night fixture, Town harshly lost 3-1 against the WPL leaders The New Saints but Bala didn’t go down without a fight with once again a very hardworking display.

The game started with quite a quick tempo but Bala were dealt an early blow as Henry Jones pulled up with a groin strain with Ian Sheridan replacing him after only four minutes of play.

Chris Venables had Town’s first effort on goal when his shot swivelled narrowly wide of the upright before Ryan Brobbel rattled the bar for the home side with a freekick from the edge of the box.

Edwards fired over the crossbar for The Saints prior to Harrison superbly tipping over Venables effort from the edge of the area after 24 minutes of play.

On the 35th minute The New Saints were awarded a penalty after a clumsy foul in the area but Redmond saw his tame spotkick pushed away strongly by Morris with the follow-up hacked off the line by the Lakesiders.

From this, Town grew in confidence and before the interval had the chance of the half to take the lead when Mike Hayes curled narrowly wide of the far post from around 10 yards.

Bala started well in the second half and took the lead only 10 minutes into the second period.

After a couple of minutes of sustained pressure, the ball came in from the right into the area and wasn’t dealt with by the home side as it flashed across the face of goal to arrive to an unmarked Venables who bundled the ball in at the back post.

However the lead was shortlived as The New Saints were instantly level 60 seconds later when Brobbel’s freekick on the D took a fierce deflection into the net.

There was another sucker punch for the Lakesiders who then conceeded on the 63rd minute when Hudson’s delivery picked out Brobbel who fired in low to add a second.

The goals took the sting out of Town’s play and soon enough a third was scored by the home side when substitute Greg Draper drove the ball into the bottom right hand corner from a round 12 yards on 75 minutes.

Yet again a decent performance from the Lakesiders who created plenty and gave a good account of themselves but were undone by some quick fire goals and clinical finishing.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor