Four goals in extra time send Town into the Quarter Finals.

At a extremely breezy Haverfordwest it took 120 minutes for Bala to overcome their Welsh League opposition in what could’ve been a potential banana skin tie.

Credit to the Bluebirds from the outset they were well set up, difficult to break down and a threat on the counter attack with Bala needing to be on their best at the back.

The game was very open in the first 30 minutes with the two teams seeing plenty of the ball and playing fast football on the difficult heavy grass surface.

Sean Smith was on the end of Andy Burns’ whipping delivery prior to Hayes placing the ball inches wide of the upright from around 3 yards from Henry Jones’ strong ball into the area.

An opportunity came to the home side when Danny Williams got on the end of a deep freekick but saw his chance go wide meanwhile down the other end, Stuart was called into action and saved Chris Venables diving header.

Next to test was Kieran Smith with his low twenty five yard strike saw saved followed by Stuart making another crucial save denying Tames after some fantastic football down the midfield by Jones and Venables.

Before the break, Smith who was unmarked fired over from around 12 yards when the ball arrived in his path before a huge opportunity falling to Mike Hayes who headed over the crossbar from close range.

Haverfordwest came into the game much more in the second half with the game still up for grabs and had a couple of attacks that could’ve seen them take the lead.

Morris early on made an excellent stop with his feet at nearpost followed by Venables and Burns involved in a double block minutes later to keep the score at 0-0.

A shot by Williams soared high over the bar from around 25 yards with Venables’ corner down the other end pulled agonisingly wide of the post.

Haverfordwest’s play down the left allowed Scotcher to shoot over before a superb ball by Mohamed was missed by an incoming Fawcett who should’ve done better.

There was plenty of action for the Lakesiders with Hayes seeing his strike from 10 yards blocked and then Miley’s follow-up hacked off the line in a big chance for the Lakesiders.

Jones and Sean Smith saw further half chances before Venables connected with Miley’s header across the face of goal but it flew over sending the goal to extra time.

With the weather turning worse and fitness taking its toll on the home side, Town took full advantage, cranking up a couple of gears and taking a hold of the cup tie.

Five minutes into the extra period, a handball was awarded in the Haverfordwest box with referee Dean John pointing to the spot. Steve Tames stepped up and confidently slotted into the right hand side making it 1-0.

This was exactly what Town needed as the goals came flooding in.

In the 97th minutes, Bala doubled their advantage as Jones picked up the ball and rocketed the ball into the far roof of the net from around 15 yards.

It was 3-0 on 101 minutes when a stunning move was swung into the area for Venables to cooly slot in at the backpost.

On the halftime whistle, Kieran Smith dispatched Town’s fourth as he struck home after a ball in from the right to send Town into the Quarter Final of the Cup.

The second half of extra time saw plenty of tired legs out on the pitch with the game going through the motions as it came to an end.

In the end a comfortable win for the Lakesiders but credit to Haverfordwest for an excellent game of football in tough playing conditions between two determined teams.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor