No fireworks in Town’s trip to Deeside!

2019 has arrived but Bala’s first match of the year fizzled out quite quickly with a 4-1 loss against the league leaders.

Town had the opening effort of the game when Nathan Burke’s teasing delivery was headed clear by Mike Wilde.

It was a scrappy start with neither team taking a real hold of the game but it didn’t take long before the opening goal arrived.

Ryan Wignall’s ball into the box arrived to Callum Morris but Ashley Morris made a great save but the loose ball took a double ricochet into the path of Wilde who bundled the ball in from close range.

Quay had a dominant spell after they scored but Bala grew back into the game and were back level on the half hour mark.

Town jumped on a weak Nomads pass allowing for Henry Jones to run at the defence and rocket the ball into the right hand side from around 10 yards out.

As Bala were coming more into the game after their leveller, Nomads were proving tricky to break down and also a huge danger on the break with Morris forced to save Bakare’s freekick.

Six minutes before the interval, Quay re-took the lead when they were controversially awarded a corner and took full advantage as Jay Owen’s close range shot was pushed away by Morris and coming out to Parker who struck the rebound into the net.

Bala came out strong at the start of the second period as they look to get back on level terms with Jones linking up with Venables but he put the opportunity wide of the post from around 3 yards out.

When it could’ve been 2-2, the game went to 3-1 when Town lost possession in the middle of the park allowing Morris to drive ahead and turn two defenders, setting up Owens who poked the ball in from a few yards out.

It got worse for Town with Quay extending their lead further as on the hour, Bakare blasted the ball into the top right hand corner.

Horwood, Hayes and Pearson came on for the Lakesiders as they tried desperately to get back into the game but chances were few and far between.

A cross in from Burns arrived to Kieran Smith at the back post but his header was tipped around the post by Danby prior to the Quay shotstopper called into action to deny Hayes this time.

A challenging afternoon for the Lakesiders on a difficult surface against a physical, organised Quay outfit on New Years Day.

Bala face a trip to Cardiff Met next week in our penultimate game of phase one.


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor