Lakesiders are in seventh heaven!

The travelling Bala supporters were treated to an early Christmas present on Saturday afternoon with a superb defence demolishing display at Llanelli.

Playing with a high press from the outset, Town’s tactics caught Llanelli off guard and it look only two minutes for the Lakesiders to open the scoring.

A Town attack down the left flank saw a ball delivered into the box and initially blocked but fall into the path of Tames on the edge of the six yard box to place the ball into the back of the net.

Bala were having the perfect start and soon found themselves 2-0 ahead after seven minutes as Henry Jones toyed with March, nutmegging him on the byline and put in a teasing cross into the area which centre half Clarke headed into his own net.

The third came on fourteen minutes when Sean Smith danced down the wing and fantastically picked out Venables who leapt higher than everyone to power the ball in with a header from close range.

After a chaotic start, Town kept up their pressure and high intensity play and looked like a threat every time they broke free with Burke’s dipping strike from 30 yards going inches over before Burns tried to find Tames and Venables in the area but the delivery was poor.

Burke went close again prior to Burns’ defence splitting low ball arriving into the path of Venables but he pulled his strike centimetres wide.

On the half hour, Llanelli got themselves a goal back. A stunning effort from 25 yards by Chris Jones curled into the left hand side giving Morris no chance in the Bala net.

Llanelli were coming more into the game as we approached halftime, playing some tidy football on the floor but Bala kept looking like a threat when Henry Jones broke down the right, driving towards the box but his opportunity was turned around the post by the goalkeeper.

Bala took hold of the second half and it was a question of how many goals were the Lakesiders going to score at times as their confidence went from strength to strength and the midfield running the show.

Sheridan fired over from the edge of the box, Jones’ powerful drive was pushed around the post before Smith and Tames linked up but the keeper could save.

Tames notched his second of the day on 56 minutes when he perfectly beat the offside trap, raced through the middle of the field and unleashed a shot into the right hand side making it 4-1.

It was 5-1 when there was 64 minutes played when Venables’ pinpoint cross on the left was looped into the net by Sheridan’s clinical header from inside the area.

The goals kept coming with Tames scoring a hatrick as Jones’ brilliant backheel was collected by the league’s leading top goalscorer for him to skip the ball past the goalkeeper and poke the ball in from an incredibly tight angle and making it 6-1.

Bala were looking very dangerous with chances queuing up as Burns’ strike was saved and the Miley’s pass finding Jones and crossing to Venables but the opportunity went begging.

Four minutes before the end, Tames rounded off a good day at the office when he got on the end of a Venables counter attack and pinging in Bala’s 7th of the day.

An impressive team display by the Lakesiders who were excellent from the first until the final minute. However, with a double header coming up against league leaders Connah’s Quay over the festive period, Town know that points are now crucial with the league split coming ever closer.

ll1 ll2 ll3 ll4 ll5 ll6 ll7

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor