Town make it 2 wins in 2!

Bala’s European preparation took another boost with an impressive win against The New Saints on Saturday afternoon.

We had a bright start at a glorious Maes Tegid with no clear cut chances until the 14 minute mark when our visitors took the lead.

Ryan Brobble fired home into the roof of the net when Draper’s ball to Redmond was blocked and arrived to his feet around 7 yards out.

Bala fought back and started to apply pressure. New signing Andy Mangan outran Spender on the wing but when he fouled by the defender, the referee waved play on.

A freekick was awarded in Town’s favour when Hayes was brought down but Venables blazed over from 40 yards.

Town were level on 25 minutes when Mangan’s through ball carved open the TNS backline which Venables latched onto and struck home from around 15 yards.

The Lakesiders were growing in confidence with Burns curling over from 30 yards and Mangan’s powerful looping strike went narrowly over the crossbar.

Harrison denied Mangan before the interval and down the other end, a TNS freekick was whipped wide of the far upright.

The second half saw the visitors come out strong with Morris called into action within minutes of the restart as he blocked Redmond’s close range effort.

Redmond tested once more but his freekick went wide of the post before down the other end Burke’s flicked header went wide from Smith’s delivery.

Bala took the lead on the hour mark as on a quick break, Mike Hayes put a teasing ball into the area which saw a mix-up between Hudson and Harrison allowing for Kieran Smith to head in from 4 yards out.

The home side were looking strong on and off the ball and the hardwork in training was paying off as they dominated the rest of the game.

Mangan saw his flicked header pushed onto the post by Harrison prior to Sean Smith going on the attack and when given space, deciding to pass to Mangan rather than shoot towards goal.

Venables fired over a freekick with Mangan also missing the target from outside the box in the final stages.

Another vital 90 minutes for the lads ahead of next week’s first leg tie against Tre Fiori. A solid positive team performance with a bit of bite and determination which bodes well for the next two weeks.

Next stop…. Italy!

Match photos by Naomi Jones – full gallery on Facebook


About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor