Lakesiders kickoff the new season with superb win!

The Lakesiders opened their 2017-18 campaign with an impressive team performance that saw them pick up a deserved first win of the new season.

Town started well with quite a high tempo and could’ve taken an early lead through Burke who’s spectacular strike was blocked and then a teasing cross from the rebound wasn’t met in the follow up.

Hayes went close, putting out some space and unleashing a shot towards goal but it was comfortably wide from the striker.

Bala’s confidence was building and saw was the pressure they were building. Horwood had a go himself and was unlucky when his freekick went narrowly wide.

After half an hour of play, Bala got their opener. A defence splitting ball from Evans picked out an unmarked Venables who beat the offside trap brilliantly and drove home low into the far corner to make it 1-0.

From the restart it was 2-0. Venables was clumsily brought down on the edge of the area. Horwood stepped up and whipped a stunning freekick into the bottom corner with Jones comfortably beaten!

Newtown though had their own chances before the interval. Boundford’s delivery found Rushton unmarked at the far post but his header was saved solidly by Morris.

Boundford was involved in another chance when he got on the end of Price’s ball into the box but his header looped around the post two minutes before the break.

The second period started with a controversial decision when the ball bounced off Clowes back to keeper Jones but was interpreted as a backpass for Bala to be awarded a freekick within the box. Town weren’t able to capitalise with Jones able to push the ball away.

Town continued with their pressure, after a scramble in the box Stuart Jones’ powerful shot was blocked prior to Hayes going up in the air with Jones and beating him but his goalbound header was hacked away by Clowes.

A spell of pressure followed by the visitors who were having to work hard to keep the Lakesiders quiet. Kershaw sent a spectacular effort over the crossbar before Rushton fired wide of the upright.

However the Lakesiders hit back and scored their 3rd of the evening. A brilliant passage of play saw the ball arrive to Hayes and he blasted into the roof of the net and ending any hopes of a Newtown comeback.

In injury time, adding insult to injury, Newtown were reduced to 10 men when Clowes picked up a second yellow for a challenge in the box and sent off for an early shower.

An impressive evening for the Lakesiders who looked sharp across the pitch and had some brilliant spells of play during the game and securing 3 points on the board nice and early.

Next up – The New Saints.

Match photos by Arwel Jones







About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor