Final pre-season game gives manager Colin Caton plenty to think about…

Town’s pre-season campaign came to an end on Wednesday evening with a late equaliser from the visitors giving them a share of the spoils.

Bala began brightly and took the lead after 2 minutes when Mike Hayes connected perfectly to a delivery from the left to head into the net giving Bala the perfect start.

The chances continued for Bala, Les Davies had an effort flash wide of the post, Hayes fired over from close range and a low drive from Burke was saved by Wycherley.

Town doubled their lead after 20 minutes when he received the ball on the edge of the area, ran along the 18 yard line and unleashed a shot into the back of the net.

Next to test was Jordan Evans who saw his 25 yard strike saved before Chris Venables rattled the base of the post before the interval.

The second half saw numerous substitutions which disrupted the tempo and shape but allowed for the Town management to see all the squad in action before next week’s WPL start v Newtown.

A good move between Hayes and Sheridan allowed for Andrai Jones to find space but rattled the crossbar from his chance prior to Hayes driving a spectacular scissor kick over the woodwork from 10 yards.

Cooke got a goal back for Guilsfield midway through the second half when he took advantage of a Town loss of possession, weaved through the defence and slotted into the bottom corner.

Down the other end, Stuart Jones pulled a cross back towards Will Bell who was able to pick out Andrai Jones but the chance was wasted by the Lakesiders.

Guilsfield were growing in confidence as the game came to a close and minutes before the fulltime whistle got their equaliser when James got his head on a corner at the far post to bring the game to 2-2.

An interesting pre-season comes to an end and attention now turning fully to next week’s game v Newtown….

Match photos by Arwel Jones

g1 g2 g3 g4

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor