Town unlucky against Chester.

The Lakesiders will feel slightly disappointed not to have earned themselves at least a draw on Monday evening with a heartning display against Conference outfit Chester.

Things were bright from the start with Bala seeing plenty of the ball and moving the ball across the deck.

Chester had the first clear chance of the game when Mahon’s ball was headed on by Bell which led to Stuart J. Jones hacking the ball of the line before the follow up from James being fired over the bar.

It took 20 minutes for the deadlock to be broken when a mistake at the back saw Vernon unable to clear his lines for Bell to snatch the ball and turn it into an empty net.

Town weren’t shaken by the opening goal with Wade’s ball in only half dealt with by Astles but Venables’ follow-up was struck wide of the upright.

Bala were back level on 39 minutes when a corner was swung in, taken a header on from Stuart J. Jones which Venables bundled in from 4 yards out.

Town could’ve doubled their tally before the break when Horwood’s delivery saw Sheridan notch it forward into Davies’ path but Lynch was able to scramble over the loose ball taking things level into the interval.

It was a whole new Chester outfit for the second half with Sheridan, Davies and Wade making way from Thompson, Andrai Jones and Hayes.

A teasing cross from Stephens found Jones at back post but it was headed inches wide of the post before a superb move between Horwood and Burke saw the ball in delivered into the 6 yard box but Chester got a vital block and could clear.

Davies curled wide for the visitors from an 18 yard freekick prior to Marsh-Hughes’ half volley being pulled wide of the post.

The visitors doubled their lead on the hour when Lloyd Marsh-Hughes connected to Joyce’s pass and looped the ball over Vernon slightly against the run of play.

Town took the game to their opponents and had plenty of chances to secure a win – Stuart J. Jones headed wide from close range, a fierce strike from Wade took a wicked deflection for the ball to go out for a corner and Thompson saw his shot blocked out for a throw in.

Down the other end, Vernon kept Davies’ 20 yard daisycutter as bay prior to Davies rattling the base of the post and the follow up from Marsh-Hughes driven over the bar.

Bala could’ve been level when a chance fell to Andrai Jones 6 yards out but the opportunity was placed over the bar.

Chester counter-attacked and added their 3rd of the evening with 9 minutes left on the clock. Water’s ball picked out Marsh-Hughes which he turned the ball to White and he has the easy job of slotting the ball into the bottom corner which was slightly harsh on the Lakesiders.

Town almost notched their second when a corner ball from Burke arrived to Venables who was unmarked at backpost but his header took too much power and flew over the bar.

On the whole a good night for the Lakesiders who looked a threat in spells, had plenty of chances and played tidy football especially in the first half.

Thank you to Chester for popping down this evening – all the best for the forthcoming season.

Up next – Porthmadog away on Saturday!

Match photos by Naomi Jones

c1 c2 c3 c4 c6 c7 c8 c9 c10 c11 c12 c13 c14 c15 c16 c17 c18 c19

About The Author


Club Media Officer, Webmaster & Programme Editor